Subject: Re: Problems installing
To: Will Jenkins <will@swproductions.co.uk>
From: Tom Winchester <tom.winchester@internode.on.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/01/2001 21:58:45
  Will Jenkins wrote:

>So far I've:
>Successfully partitioned the hard-drive in my iBook (dual-usb) with the
>suggested configuration in the Install notes.
>Booted the NetBSD installer and manually run newfs on wd0a wd0b and wd0g
>
>The problem comes when I actually try and install NetBSD. I choose install
>additional sets. However the moment I say ok to the CD-ROM settings page it
>pauses for a few seconds and prints
>
>"wdc0:0:1: lost interrupt
>Enter ttype: atapi tc_bcount: 32 tc_skip: 0"
>
>over the previous screen, and then it just hangs.
>
>What am I doing wrong?
>
>--
>Will Jenkins
>http://www.swproductions.co.uk/

Will,

The short answer is nothing.

I have observed exactly the same error message on my system during the
last week.

My story goes something like this. I repartioned my imac summer 2000
system about 1 week ago, and went to reinstall netbsd-1-5-2. I received
exactly the same error message. However, I had done nothing different to
done the 4-1-9 firmware upgrade though, and I suspect that this upgrade
has disturbed something in the cdrom controller, and produced a bug
similar to the documented pciide problem. This means that cdrom cannot
be accessed from netbsd while another device on the same bus is being
used, such as the hard disc.

So, I created a hybrid cdrom using my copy of Toast, and booted from the
hybrid cdrom, and then installed netbsd-1-5-2 manually bypassing sysint.
This worked, albeit with a raised hassle factor. Even though the netbsd
system is up and running again as per normal now, the cdrom is not
operational.

This is definitely a work-around based upon my diagnosis of the problem,
and I am relieved that someone else has encountered this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas, or insights into the cause or the ultimate
cure for this problem?

Tom Winchester.