Subject: Problems with c600
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: J. P. Schaaf <jpschaaf@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/30/2001 13:40:58
I have tried a few of the suggestions provided since
my last mailing.  Specifically, I have located my
openfirmware version, which is 2.0.

I have attempted to boot from the floppy with the
command "boot fd:0", after the startup chime played, I
received a simple message which states "claim failed".
 I repeated the "boot fd:0" command several times
(about 6), but without any luck, nothing more than
"CLAIM failed" was produced.

I have tried several different methods for creating
the floppy on my machine, as well as a windows
machine.  I got the image from
ftp://ftp2.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.1/macppc/installation/boot.fs

I have tried different disks (in case of bad blocks- I
actually haven't seen the bad partition messge with
the floppy since I tried a different disk)I made the
floppy once in windows using Rawrite32.exe, once in
the MacOS using SunTar, and once using Apple's disk
copy.  None of the methods changed anything as far as
the "claim failed" goes.

As far as the cd goes, I downloaded an ISO image of a
CD from a NET BSD mirror site, and burned it using
Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 (on my windows machine).
When attempting to boot from the cd I tried using
commands ranging from

"boot scsi-int/sd@3:0"

Result is "DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00300 at  %SSR0:
FF80BFD8  %SRR1: 0000A070"

"boot scsi-int/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.RAM"

Result is startup ping, and then "bad partition
number, using 0CLAIM failed"

I then decided to check and see what devices were
listed in the open firmware.

devalias
pci1      /bandit@F2000000
fd        /bandit/ohare/swim3
kbd       /bandit/ohare/via-cuda/adb/keyboard
mouse     /bandit/ohare/via-cuda/adb/mouse
ttya      /bandit/ohare/escc/ch-a
ttyb      /bandit/ohare/escc/ch-b
scsi      /bandit/ohare/mesh
scsi-int  /bandit/ohare/mesh
ata       /bandit/ohare/ATA
ata-int   /bandit/ohare/ATA
screen    /valkyrie

I am a bit confused- my machine only has one SCSI bus-
but scsi and scsi-int are listed.  Does this mean
anything?

At any rate, I then typed

" dev scsi
show-children"

The result was
"RESETing SCSI bus
Target 1
  Unit 0 Disk    SEAGATE SX410800N     7117
Target 2
  Unit 0 Disk    DEC     RZ26L  (C) DEC7117
Target 3
  Unit 0 Removable Read Only device   CyberDRV CD-ROM
TW240S 7117
Target 5
  Unit 0 Removable Disk  IOMEGA  ZIP 100 7117
Target 6
  Unit 0 Disk    IBM     DPES-31080    7117"

One other thing that confuses me a bit.  I changed the
output device back to ttya, and left the input as kbd.
 I then did a reset-all, waited a few seconds, and
typed "boot fd:0".

The result:  Startup ping.  Floppy sits and reads for
about 2 minutes, the hard drive clicks a few times as
if it were being read, then I hear the startup ping,
the screen comes to life, and the MacOS begins to boot
(if it matters, I have OS 8.6, and System Disk does
not work on my machine so I need to use Boot
Variables).

Any thoughts?  I'm not having much luck the way it is
going right now.

Thanks Much,
J. P. Schaaf