Subject: Re: Some Help Debugging lpd with MacOS 9 printing.
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/26/2001 17:47:04
At 7:22 PM -0500 10/26/01, Bob Nestor wrote:
>On 10/26/01 5:05 PM, Henry B. Hotz (hotz@jpl.nasa.gov) wrote:

>Henry,
>
>I figured out how to get this working on my system.  NetBSD was blocking
>the print job from MacOS because the Mac wasn't configured in
>/etc/hosts.lpd and/or /etc/hosts.equiv.  The default files contain a "-"
>which doesn't seem to allow remote system access to the print queue.

Duh.

I removed the "-s" in the rc.conf file.  I didn't think there would
be another level of denial built into the standard config file.  I'll
give it a try.

>Changing this to "+" and restarting the print daemon on NetBSD allowed me
>to create a Desktop Printer and send output to it from MacOS.  The
>printer queue must match one that is in your /etc/printcap entry to make
>sure the job gets processed correctly to the selected printer.

Yeah, I took care of that.  The queue is RAW, which is the
postscript-only queue provided by (old) JetDirect interfaces.  They
also provide a TEXT queue.