Subject: Are there any known problems with uvm or pmap in -current as of
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@criticalpath.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/25/2001 21:07:01
After running my new server machine in testing with a -current kernel for
over a week, I felt pretty good about deploying it to replace the old 9600
in production.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with this kernel that my testing
didn't reveal.  Under relatively mild load serving mostly mail, cvs, dns,
and dhcp, the machine showed a strong tendency to panic in various contexts.
(The longest it stayed up was about 45 minutes.)  After a very rough
morning, I reverted to the old machine.

After each panic, the keyboard was unresponsive, so I was unable to get a
backtrace.  I only wrote down the messages from two of the panics, and they
were both the same:

kernel diagnostic assertion "rv" failed: file ../../../uvm/uvm_pager_i.h

Looking at the source, this panic happens in uvm_pageratop() when
pmap_extract() returns FALSE.  I don't know enough about these subsystems to
make much sense of this.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

The machine configuration is:
PowerMac G4/466
1.25G RAM
53c895-based SCSI card (siop driver)
3 LVD drives: 2 mirrored with raidframe, one for /tmp, swap, etc.

Thanks,
-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                  monroe@criticalpath.com