Subject: How do I build a 1.5.2-based kernel that will handle >=1G RAM?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@criticalpath.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/25/2001 20:32:33
It appears that there's a hard limit here, and I'm not sure what kernel
option controls it.  If I boot the machine with exactly 1G installed, I get:

total memory = 1024 MB
panic: uvm_km_suballoc: unable to allocate space in parent map

A backtrace shows this is one of the two calls to uvm_km_suballoc() in
cpu_startup().

If I boot with over 1GB installed, I don't even get the copyright banners.
Everything stops right after:

[preserving 215692 bytes of netbsd ELF symbol table]

I've tried building a kernel with "options BUFCACHE=10" as a semi-random
guess, but it doesn't change the results.

The machine is a G4/466.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-- monroe