Subject: Re: Some Help Debugging lpd with MacOS 9 printing.
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/25/2001 21:11:25
On 10/25/01 7:58 PM, Henry B. Hotz (hotz@jpl.nasa.gov) wrote:

>I create a desktop printer under OS9 with the desktop printer
>utility;  tell it that it's an lpr printer with queue RAW at the
>right IP address.  I've done this with HP JetDirect interfaces and it
>works.  I've done this with Solaris 2.5 and it doesn't because it
>doesn't know it's a Postscript file instead of a text file, but it's
>OK otherwise.
>
>In this case the Mac opens the connection, sends 6 bytes of data and
>the NetBSD server closes the connection.  No print job log, no
>nothing.

I'm confused about what you're trying to do, probably because I have
something working.

My printer has an ethernet interface and I've given it a static IP
address.  My NetBSD system has /etc/printcap set up to handle both text
and postscript files and lpr spools files to the printer successfully.

Under OS8x, OS9x and OSX I've used the Printer Desktop Utility to create
a Desktop printer which accesses the printer via it's static IP address.
All versions of MacOS can successfully print to the printer.  I've done
the same thing with Windows-95/98 and it also works.

I had never tried to access the printer via netatalk from MacOS until I
read your posting. Since then I've successfully created a Desktop Printer
that goes thru netatalk and it also works.

If you'd like copies of the various files I diddled with to get this
running or if I can answer some of your questions just let me know.

-bob