Subject: Re: Losing serial connection
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/19/2001 10:52:48
>>> For some reason the connection is useable for a while and then
>>> ceases to function.
>> I have a Power Macintosh 4400 which exhibits very similar symptoms
>> on its console serial line under 1.4T.  I suspect hardware trouble,
>> but I have nothing I can point to as evidence of that.

> I also have Several OF 2.0.2 machines.  At OF console, ttya
> connection, I happen to have copy and paste some commands.

> If I paste two lines, the console cease to work.  If it is before the
> multi-user mode started, I need to hareware-reset to recover.

> It seems to me just overflow of serial input buffer which serial chip
> can not handle.

That sounds plausible.  But I know that in my case, at least, it's not
all there is to it.  I know this because I have on occasion had the
console working fine, and left it sitting at my shell prompt.  I come
back to it later and it's still sitting at the same shell prompt, but
now it doesn't work at all.  No input - nor even output - at all in the
interim.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign