Subject: Re: Gigabit Ethernet support on gmac?
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@criticalpath.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/17/2001 20:56:35
On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 07:03:45PM -0700, Monroe Williams wrote:

 > Well, I cobbled together something like bus_space_write_8 & friends on
 > macppc, built a kernel with the gem driver, and got the message:

I just committed a change to the GEM driver that eliminates the need for
64-bit PCI bus access.  Back out your bus_space changes, and update the
gem.c and gemreg.h files in sys/dev/ic.

 > "could not map gem registers"
 >
 > from the gem driver on boot.  This seems to come from dev/pci/if_gem_pci.c.
 > AFAICT, nothing that would use my implementation of bus_space_write_8 has
 > been called at this point, so I don't think it matters whether I got it
 > quite right.

This appears to be some ... unfortunate bogusness in the PCI front-end
to the GEM driver.  I have fixed this, as well.

I also went ahead and added some code (which I have NOT even test-
compiled on a PowerPC) that will fetch the MAC address.  You will
have to possibly fix this up.  These changes can be obtained by
updating sys/dev/pci/if_gem_pci.c.

 > Has anyone actually seen the gem driver work on macppc, or is it just
 > theoretically supposed to work with the UniNorth ethernet core?  ;)

It's "theory" right now ... but it should work.  Note that Linux has a
merged driver as well.