Subject: Losing serial connection
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <josh@ssimr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/17/2001 09:14:39
I started running headless issuing the boot commands and the like by
using the serial port, a printer cable functioning as a null modem
going from my 6500/300 to a keyspan dual serial adapter attached to my
iMac, and Zterm.

For some reason the connection is useable for a while and then ceases
to function. At first I just thought the machine had crashed, but I
could telnet in fine. However, recently I had a small problem that
disabled telnet and I had to power-cycle to get the serial port
back. I assume I simply have it set so that it doesn't respawn
automatically, i.e. that it is a syntax error. (On Linux machines it
is usually set in /etc/inittab) I'm not sure where to look.

I get an error about /etc/ttyE0 whenever I start up because I never
commented that one out. is that the problem?

My best guesses of where to look and useful info:

NetBSD regret 1.5.1 NetBSD 1.5.1 (GENERIC) #9: Mon Jul 2 08:58:45 PDT
2001 matt@duel.local:/u1/kobj/GENERIC macppc

top /etc/ttys:
console "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  vt100   off secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure
tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  vt100   on secure
tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty02   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@ssimr.com