Subject: Re: Configuring dhcpclient?
To: S Lafredo <slafredo@yahoo.com>
From: IvanK. <chepati@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/16/2001 01:16:52
I'm sorry -- I just realized I gave you incorrect advise.  Here's an excerpt
from my /etc/defaults/rc.conf (it might be just /etc/rc.conf for you though)

dhclient=YES                                    # behave as a DHCP client
dhclient_flags="ne0"

In my case ne0 is connected to my cable modem.  Change that to de0:

dhclient=YES                                    # behave as a DHCP client
dhclient_flags="de0"

Also, make sure you have a line that says:

auto_ifconfig=YES

I'm using 1.5.2, but if I remember correctly this format has been there at
least since 1.5.  Looking below at what you have makes me suspect you're
using on older version with a different config format.  However, I believe
the following should work for you:

ipconfig_interface=""
dhclient=YES
dh_flags="de0"

I'm not 100% sure what ipconfig_interface is for though.  I suspect it's a
list of interfaces you want configured.  Leave that blank, and set
auto_ifconfig=YES.  If you only have one interface in that machine you should
be done.  If you have more, make sure each one has its corresponding
/etc/ifconfig.xxN configuration file, ex. /etc/ifconfig.ne0 with contents:

inet IP_NUMBER netmask NETMASK.  Example:

inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

Restart /etc/rc.d/network to activate the interfaces.  Let the list know how
it goes.

Good luck,
chepati