Subject: Integrating NetBSD and OS X
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <josh@ssimr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/15/2001 12:04:29
The past month or so, most of my computer hobbyist free time has been
spent with Mac 0S X (and Darwin and Fink) on an iMac which is
functionally my workstation. I have a NetBSD installation on a
PowerMac 6500/300 functionally my server -- running a nameserver and a
mail server at the moment.

I would like to find a "How-to" on integrating the set up. I'm not
really sure what I can do. It is clear to me in some cases I'm running
some things on the wrong machines because I haven't researched setting
things up.  Can I set up XDarwin to use the server machine for a font
server? Can I configure Mutt (my preferred mail client) to run on my
Workstation. Do I need PERL and Emacs on both machines? Are there
special features of either NetBSD or Darwin that will allow things to
work on both platforms? Should I install my network printer by its IP
address on both or should I set up the server as my print server?

Most of those questions, and many more, are the kinds of questions
sysadmins have been answering for twenty years. If anyone has set up
an intergrated environment using OS X and NetBSD I'd like to simply
review what they did. If not, the free software community being what
it is, I supposed I've obliged myself to write a How-to. So hopefully
someone else has already done this.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@ssimr.com