Subject: Re: Configuring dhcpclient?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/14/2001 19:33:34
On Sun, Oct 14 2001 at 09:29:54 -0700, S Lafredo wrote:
> In my rc.conf I have added...
>
> defaultrouter=192.168.1.1
You don't have to set this, DHCP will take care of this.

> ipconfig_interface="DHCP"
This has no effect (AFAIK).  Where do you got this from?

> dhclient=YES
Ok.

> dh_flags=""
dh_flags has no meaning as well.

> When dhclient runs it attempts to talk to the router (192.168.1.1) on
> the subnet 255.255.255.255.
>
> e.g.
>
> DHCP on de0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval ...
This looks ok.

> NO DHCPOFFERS
This means, that your machine didn't receive any response from any DHCP
server on the network.

Does your network card function correctly? (can it receive ethernet frames?)

Does the DHCP server know your machine (or has a pool of free IP adresses for
unknown machines)?
If you don't manage the DHCP server(s), contact your network
administrator.

> According to my other Macintosh the subnet is 255.255.255.0
Yes, if your DCHP server is configured correctly, the dhclient will get the
correct netmask from the server and set it.

> I looked at the dhclient man page but did not could not display the
> flag definitions?
You usually don't have to set any flags. If you have multiple network
interfaces and want dhclient to run only on one of them, you can put
something like

dhclient_flags="de0"

in your rc.conf.

> I tired adding ifconfig de0 inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00 to my
> rc.conf but that did not help.
Isn't 192.168.1.1 the default router of your network?

If yes, never do this: BAD, BAD things will happen to the other machines in
the network -> and maybe to you, if your network administrator notices you
doing this and is in a bad mood.

> Is there a dh_flag to change the subnet mask?
Why? The dhclient will set the netmask automatically. After all that's its
purpose: To configure the network...

> Should I add something to /etc/resolv.conf?
No, dhclient will do this as well.

DISCLAIMER:
Yes, you can configure dhclient to *not* set the default router, netmask or
configure DNS, but I don't think that it makes sense in your case.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.