Subject: Upgrade to 1.5.2 - epic0 trouble
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/14/2001 01:57:22
Got the 1.5.2 upgrade done on my mirror machine.

Question:
I have an SMC EtherPower II card in the box, and it seems to work
with 1.5 quite well.  Autoselect 100baseT, good performance, no
problems.  However, the 1.5.2 kernel complains about
"epic0: lost carrier" a number of times during startup.
The 1.5 kernel didn't complainnearly as much, although I have seen
this message a few times.  The standard 1.5.2 kernel complains quite
a bit, though.

The complaints seem to stop completely once the machine is fully up, and
data starts flowing.  There is no evidence that this message is an
indication of a failure.

It still seems to work, but it would not set right with me to put
this card in production with the kernel whining like that.

Anyone know what's up?

BTW - Turns out that unpacking the tarballs on the running system works
just fine.  I ended up with a procedure that unpacks *all*
the tarballs, even etc, right on top of the running system.
I then run a script that copies the etc/? files on top of the 1.5.2
/etc stuff IFF necessary.  Then there is a script that deletes
the 1.5-but-not-1.5.2 files.  Finally, reboot fromfloppy
and install the ofwboot 1.5.2 boot blocks.

Golden, almost. ;>

-dgl-