Subject: Re: Apple iBook (dual USB)
To: None <boder@cmu.edu>
From: Ryan Boder <boder@cmu.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/08/2001 19:44:14
I am sort of confused right now as to what I could be doing wrong. I have
no floppy disk and my hfs partition that holds my linux bootloader is only
1 meg so the floppy image won't fit. Therefore the only way for me to
install would be via the iso image on a cd.

I have burned the cd with cdrecord under linux and inspected it to make
sure it burned correctly. On the cd I found ofwboot.xcf at the root and
then both ofwboot.xcf and ofwboot.elf in the directory
/macppc/installation. So I tried booting them all like it said on the
website...

boot cd:,/ofwboot.xcf
boot cd:,/macppc/installation/ofwboot.xcf
boot cd:,/macppc/installation/ofwboot.elf

For each of these commands it would say "Cannot read ..." and return to
the prompt. I have I checked the firmware version and when I enter the
firmware prompt it says

Apple PowerBook4, 1 4.2.0f4 BootRom

I don't know exactly what those numbers mean but it seems like my firmware
would be considered version 4 which does satisfy the requirement of >3
which is given on the platform page.

So this is basically everything I have tried but it seems like according
to the documentation it should work. Am I missing anything?

Ryan Boder
http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~rtb