Subject: Re: How to upgrade to 1.5.2
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/07/2001 23:03:27
On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 12:44:23PM -0500, Donald Lee wrote:
> Can I get some advice from the list?
>
> I have a production system (www.icompute.com) running NetBSD 1.5, and
> I want to update it to 1.5.2 with a minimum of risk and downtime.
>
> What would be my best approach?
>
> 1. "live" update:
> 	Unpack tarballs right on top of the running system, and then
> 	reboot.
>
> 	Benefits: minimum downtime
>
> 	Risks: Does this work reliably, correctly?  Will I have running

I've one this on several on my machine, but I rebooted 2 times:
- install new kernel, reboot
- unpack binary sets, reboot.

> 		executables that don't get updated this way?

No, running executables will be unlink()ed so no problems.

> 		Other gotchas?

Don't extract the etc.tgz set, of course. You may eventually change in etc
by hands later, but I didn't need to do this.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>