Subject: Re: root device - partition - booting
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Hans Van Nes Allen Woodriff <hvw6y@cms.mail.virginia.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/04/2001 21:31:35
On my version of Toast (4.1.1) for the Mac OS, under the
Format menu, it gives me the options:

Files and Folders
Audio CD
Disc Copy

I've been using 'Files and Folders' and I'm pretty sure
I've created the CD successfully.

-----

When I execute the boot cd:ofwboot.xcf, netbsd

it prompts me with "Boot:" and I'm assuming that the netbsd
part of the command did not make it through.

-----

I'm am still able to make it to the 'root device' input on
the ofwboot.xcf loader if I leave out the netbsd part of
the boot command. My problem is that I don't know what the
'root device' is, what the 'dump device', nor where to find
out this information.

Is there a way to find out what's up with my partion
scheme, including the BSD partitions, before I load into
the boot loader?

Your help is greatly appreciated. I cannot say this enough
times. I know I am on the verge of successful installation,
just I realize my own shortcomings and knowledge about my
Mac devices, partitions and such.

Thank you again.

Hans