Subject: root device - partition - booting
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Hans Van Nes Allen Woodriff <hvw6y@cms.mail.virginia.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/03/2001 17:56:14
I've refrained from posting the last few months as I've
tried to get the system up myself.

Here is the problem I have now:

System: Powerbook Pismo 500mhz - 256 RAM

I partitioned four partitions with drive setup.

1. Mac Extended
2. A/U Root
3. Unix Free 1
4. Unallocated

I am installing netbsd 1.5.2 onto the A/U Root partition
from a CD which has the gz's of the kernel, all the
individual games.gz, dev.gz, etc., as well as the
bootloaders.

I moved through Open Firmware 3 and was able to start
ofwboot.xcf:

boot cd:ofwboot.xcf

I'm successful at getting .elf to load as well, but they
both leave me with the same problem:

boot device: <unknown>
root device: ??

It suggests I enter wd0(a-p) and I've tried them all,
followed by 2 returns to default the dump and filesystem
questions. It usually says something like...'cannot mount
filesystem...'

What do I enter? How can I look at my partitions from open
firmware or some other software to see my partition scheme.

How was I able to bypass this bootloader (the one with the
larger font) and have it load the bootloader which outputs
a smaller font ----> and doesn't ask me the root device
question???

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm ready to
sell my Mac and get a little 386i somethin or another...

Thanks so much!

Hans