Subject: Re: filesystem problems
To: Kevin Diggs <kevdig@rcn.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/02/2001 11:03:51
On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Kevin Diggs wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     When I changed the order that the DIMMs were installed in my 9600,
> my filesystem problems (fsck finding "unknown file type problems) went
> away? I used to have 4 Apple 16M DIMMs in slots 6 & 5 (two highest slot
> pairs) and 4 unknown 64M in 4 & 3 (neighboring slot pairs). Anybody know
> whiy this matters? Is it supposed to?

It isn't supposed to matter.

What could well matter is not that you re-arranged the DIMMs, but that you
removed them and reinserted them. Over time, contacts can oxidize. This
includes DIMM contacts. By removing and reinserting the DIMMs, you broke
that oxidation.

Unseeting and reseating memory is a trick I've used before to help
machines experiencing random crashes.

Take care,

Bill