Subject: Re: Bootstrapping a 6400?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/25/2001 07:02:24
on 9/25/01 1:41 AM, gabriel rosenkoetter at gr@eclipsed.net wrote:

> Huh? No it doesn't, at least, not if my memory serves. The 6400 was
> an education version of the home 6500, no? If so, then it's got an
> IDE hard drive but SCSI CD-ROM and (if it's there, which it's
> probably not) zip drive.

Yep, you nailed it:

 cdrom scsi/sd@3
 hdisk ata/disk@0
 <no zip>

> That CD-ROM you burned isn't totally useless. Drop it in another
> machine, NFS share it, and install via NFS.

There's no nic in it, it was only used over dial previously.  I figured that
once I had it loaded I figure out how it might find a new life.  (eg. NAT/FW
at a mac-only shop like I'd use a sparc classic, LX or i386/P133 in a
PC-only office.)  I'll try a floppy next.

What are the rules for picking nic's for it?  Do I really want to pick up a
stock Mac PCI nic or can I use a 3C905 or Dec tulip (fxp) in it?  I was
prepared to roll a new kernel when I put the those nic's in it already but
I'm pretty sure the ofw didn't like it so NFS install wasn't an option.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

peter