Subject: Re: Bootstrapping a 6400?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Angus Davis <adavis2k@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/24/2001 15:35:31
on 9/24/01 3:11 PM, Geoffrey C Kinnel at Geoffrey.Kinnel@bms.com wrote:

> Peter Eisch wrote:
>>

>> Whenever I try: boot scsi/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.RAM (caps or lowercase)
>> I simply get "RESETing SCSI bus" and it just hangs.
>>
>> Any other details that might be handy?
>
> Oooops. The 6400 apparently has an IDE interface, not SCSI. Sorry I
> missed that. The install doc says the following commands will work for
> booting from CD on IDE. Again, you may have to s/RAM/MAC/ in the
> kernel name.
>
> boot ata/atapi-disk:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.RAM
> boot ide1/disk@0:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.RAM
>
> Geoff

[Disclaimer: It's been a while since i've had to do this, if you fry your
machine, it's your own fault]

6400's are a tricky breed of machine to be sure. I have a 6400 clone ( Umax
C600 ) and it's a real pain in the rear.  First things first, There's no
hope for booting from the SCSI chain ( I have both SCSI and IDE built in )
second, there's no hope for booting from a cd, unless it is MacOS ROM doing
the booting.  Solution, boot from everyone's favorite obsolete technology:
The floppy.  There's one other bit you need to do first, set the load-base
in OF to what it says in the Docs. Then it should boot.  Now, if you do ever
want to boot from the internal HD, you cannot use the built in valkyrie
display adapter as the output for OF, I personally have a Matrox PCI card,
so i don't have to worry about that. ( So use some PCI card, or just put it
out to tty[a,b] ).  You can leave the input set to kbd so you can still
type, just in the dark.

If i remember correctly, that's all there is to it -- Easy, eh?

--Angus