Subject: Re: 10/100 card support
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/19/2001 10:57:18
--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 01:38:50PM -0500, Donald Lee wrote:
> -the rtk driver (for a D-link DFE-530TX+ el-cheapo) works fine, sees
> the 100Base T, but has poor performance, as far as I can tell.
> Reportedly this is because it's a sub-marvelous chip.

Fwiw, I have a (i386) firewall with two of those DEF-530TX+ cards
in it (actually, my having those cards is the reason rtk recognizes
them) and, while they're not ideal if you're doing a ludicrous
amount of traffic, they seem to be basically sufficient for my needs
(608Kbps down/128Kbps up ADSL, plus inhouse 100BaseT network which
roommates and such regularly use to slurp mp3s from my machine).

> -I have an Asante 09-00169-01 card (Dec 21140-AF chip).  It

I have no experience with Asante cards under NetBSD.

> I have an EtherPower II card coming my way in the next few days.
> I'm hoping that will work well.

This is the SMC card? I'm probably going to grab a couple of those
to replace the cards in my firewall when it starts doing a little
more traffic (NFS and such).

> I may also get wild and buy a 3Com board.  They're more expensive, though.

But arguably worth the money, presuming you mean the 3c905x
variety.

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu