Subject: Re: Xmacppc fun.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/30/2001 00:44:54
In message <20010826193037.A20907@eclipsed.net>,
gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

>So, in hopes of tracking this palette bug down, I've been doing my
>damndest to get a crash dump of it. Removing DDB options from the
>kernel entirely just causes the machine to reboot
[...]
>So, I'm puzzled by a few things:
[...]
>3. Would I be sane to suggest that this sounds like an optimization
>problem with gcc for PowerPC?
>
>4. ... or is it far more likely that the bug is still there but much
>more difficult to tickle due to slight timing or memory address
>differences by having the kernel include some extra bloat?
>
>Any suggestions welcomed.

Count those two as my opinion.

PowerPC nack-end in gcc is known to be horribly buggy, but the symptoms
(from a developers point of view) suggest the 4th reason.

To be more honest this was almost always the case for Mac OS Classic.
Memory protection in BSD is supposed to catch this kind of bugs _before_
they crash the machine.

--
Xavier HUMBERT  -  Systemes et Reseaux     |     labo-info@injep.fr
INJEP                                      |     humbert@injep.fr