Subject: Re: compiling?
To: IvanK . <chepati@yahoo.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/25/2001 22:16:05
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 06:32:05PM -0400, IvanK . wrote:
> I'm guessing that *BSD's make expects differently formatted Makefiles than,
> say, Linux or Solaris and the above error is just make's way of telling me it
> can't process the Makefiles?  Has this anything to do with bsd vs sysV?

Not exactly. For starters, there is a localized version of Apache in
pkgsrc. Download, for instance:

  ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc.tar.gz

and read the file README at the root of the tarball.

Second, probably what you're seeing is fallout of using bmake (what
we use as make under BSD) to run a Makefile that uses some GNU make
extensions (oh, you thought only Microsoft did that? 'fraid not). So
install pkgsrc/devel/gmake and use that instead of make for
problematic Makefiles.

Fwiw, that Apache Makefile should fail on a stock Solaris system
(presuming that stock system has been instilled with the Sun-authored
development suite, still significantly better at producing UltraSparc
code than the GNU stuff).

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net