Subject: Re: trouble booting off cd
To: NetBSD/macppc list <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/22/2001 11:31:21
On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 11:56:35AM -0600, Erik Huizing wrote:

>    I've got a powerbook G3 (bronze) I wanted to install NetBSD on.
> I can only get as far as the boot loader:
>
> 0 > boot cd:ofwboot.xcf cd:netbsd
>
> [...]
> ofwboot.xcf runs, but doesn't find 'netbsd'
> [...]
> Has anyone got any ideas/pointers? Thanks

I haven't tried the 1.5.1 CD yet, but with the 1.5 CD, the following
works:

0 > boot cd:3,ofwboot.xcf cd:0,/netbsd.macppc

As you're probably aware, the CD has a hybrid HFS/ISO filesystem.
OpenFirware 3 can only read from the HFS part, while ofwboot.xcf reads
the ISO part (the version of ofwboot.xcf on the 1.5 CD can only read
ISO if I'm not mistaken, while I think the version on the 1.5.1 CD can
read both ISO & HFS).  The boot command above points OF to the HFS
partition (# 3) for loading ofwboot.xcf, and in turn points
ofwboot.xcf to the ISO partition (# 0) for loading the install kernel,
netbsd.macppc.

HTH

John