Subject: Argh! Beige G3, NetBSD 1.5.1, OF 2.0f1, and IDE booting
To: None <PORT-MACPPC@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/07/2001 17:28:03
So, just for yucks I hooked up a spare Jaz drive and installed 1.5.1 on it.
Works great. So I decided to wipe out MacOS and Linux from the IDE disk and
move to NetBSD. The install went just fine, but I cannot boot the IDE disk.

Originally, whenever I attempted to boot the IDE disk, I would get either
"can't OPEN: <whatever I tried>" or "can't OPEN: booger" (where I've set
my boot-device to booger so I don't get the blinky question mark). Then I
read all about System Disk 2.3.1 and reinstalled MacOS long enough to
run it. Now I get "can't OPEN: " (note the lack of a name!) whenever I
try to boot the IDE disk.

I also haven't figured out how to tell the booter to look on the IDE disk
for the kernel. If I load the booter from floppy and try to tell it to
look at the IDE disk, I get "Device not configured". Perhaps I just don't
know the syntax for that little trick?

I suppose it's not really important since I _can_ boot from a SCSI disk and
mount the IDE disk via disktab. My spare SCSI disk is a bit small (200MB),
so I would need to know how to get sysinst to put /usr on another
drive (ideally, the IDE drive). It's just bloody frustrating to have
a perfectly good installation on the IDE drive and not be able to boot
it.

Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu