Subject: Re: IDE OF Booting
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/04/2001 09:34:09
On Saturday, August 4, 2001, at 02:06  am, Bob Nestor wrote:

> On 8/3/01 7:38 PM, Matthew Theobalds (mtheobalds@mac.com) wrote:
>
>> The dmesg reports that it can see a wd0c, (or perhaps a wdc0, I can't
>> quite remember now).
>>
>> I tried a disklabel wd0, but it says "Device not configured", which
>> suggests that it can see it, but doesn't like the partitioning,
>> perhaps?
>>

> The disk probably isn't configured.  If your G3 is an early model (like
> mine) you might be running into the same problems I found.
>
> The IDE disk on the first controller isn't seen or configured.  Placing
> an IDE disk on the second controller works, but you can't boot from it.
> This was under NetBSD 1.4.2.
>
> Under NetBSD 1.4.3 the IDE disk on the first controller is seen and
> configured but appears to be unusable.  This appears to be the same
> problem that is affecting the current iBooks and I think Manual just
> fixed this in -current.

Hmmm. Very misfortunate.

> After you get past the disk problem you may run into problems with the
> ADB/USB keyboard and mouse support under NetBSD 1.5.   They work under
> 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 but are broken under 1.5, 1.5.1 and (last time I
> checked)
> -current.  I have a work around that seems to solve the problem for some
> on 1.5.1 and probably -current.  I think Michael has it in the FAQ now.

I'd read your post to the list on this one.

>> But if I have to do this to succeed, I will. Any more ideas first,
>> though?
>>

> Save your spare change for that new system and be happy you can run
> NetBSD on your 68k system.  :)

:]

I was only really wanting to have a play with NetBSD/macppc, and
specifically compare the performance with OS X... I suppose I'll have to
wait until another time.

> BTW, I'm not a Linux user (or advocate) but Yellow Dog 2.0 does boot and
> run on these old G3s and it's freely downloadable.

I don't care much for Linux, personally either. But it may be
interesting to see how Desktop-able Linux has become, which was sort of
the goal with the NetBSD install.

Alas, these experiments are never quite 'that simple', as I learn every
time I have another mad idea... thanks anyway, though.

All the best.

Matthew