Subject: Re: usb mouse and user info
To: None <brendan@cs.uchicago.edu>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/29/2001 16:47:15
On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 01:22:28PM -0700, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> Are you using XFree86 or Xmacppc?

Shouldn't matter, should it? Enabling the usb devices in the kernel
and telling... oh, I see, yes it does matter.

(What I was going to say was "telling the X server to use wsmouse",
then realized that that's a little less easy with Xmacppc. But it
should be doing this right by default, I thought.)

> At 2:59 PM -0500 7/29/01, brendan@cs.uchicago.edu wrote:
> :)however, the user can still log in! where is the user info _really_ kept?
> man vipw

Or just pwd_mkdb as root. The point is that editing the flat files
makes no difference, since the system is looking at the (Berkeley)
db versions, /etc/pwd and /etc/spwd.

Probably best to add pwd_mkdb(8), passwd(1), passwd(5), and
passwd.conf(5) to the above recommended reading, as well.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net