Subject: Re: kgdb status
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/29/2001 13:03:16
At 3:44 PM -0400 7/29/01, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

:)Long answer: it is my personal belief that XFree86 sucks. Not to say
:)that it doesn't do what it does well, but it does it in an
:)inappropriate way, imho. Our X server does *not* require running at
:)securelevel 0 (or with options INSECURE, which is, of course, the
:)same semblance), XF86 does on every platform it runs on.

Ohhhh.  I didn't realize that.  I thought it was just a macppc-specific
issue.  That's reason enough to have a secure X server.

Carry on.

Though, there is indeed a place for XFree86 on the systems without a PC
standard video card in the hopes that it'll support more than 8bpp at
640x480, even if we don't get acceleration.

  -- MW