Subject: Re: Can't boot any of my Macs
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/29/2001 12:24:55
At 6:48 PM -0700 7/27/01, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

:)>I did manage to get the "Disk Tools for the PPC" onto a floppy image
:)>which I then DDed to a floppy to boot with.  I can now bring up
:)>MacOS (which seems a huge step backwards).
:)
:)Maybe, but it's probably necessary for proper care and feeding of Mac
:)hardware.

Yeah, I just got bitten by that yesterday.  When I swapped CPUs I reset the
motherboard, and it reset my clock.

Apparently NetBSD/macppc still can't write the correct time to the
motherboard, since I had to reboot to MacOS to set it across reboots.

:)A quick way to get a bootable disk partition would be to format the
:)drive with Drive Setup and then copy the entire contents of the Disk
:)Tools floppy to the partition.  Somewhere I think there's a bootable
:)floppy with network support built in.  Copying that floppy's contents
:)would be a better starting point.

Unfortunately, those floppies are old enough that System Disk doesn't work
with those OSes, which is why I don't point to them.  System Disk requires
MacOS 8.1 or later.  But I agree, having a bootable MacOS drive is
advisable.

:)c) Use nvedit to fix up nvramrc.  There are instructions off the FAQ
:)somewhere.  It's a bit tedious, but not hard.  You'll want the wBoot
:)patch and the video patch.  The other patches aren't needed on a
:)[78]500 in my experience.  7600 should be the same.  Sometimes you
:)get lucky and don't need the video patch for a particular machine,
:)but don't count on it.

Right.  Now that Dave has his PowerMac hooked up to a PC with
HyperTerminal, he can just paste the patches in.
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/nvedit.html

:)e) "boot scsi-int/sd@3:0,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc" with the real

Eh, be careful.  The filenames are case sensitive.  And since older systems
are only ISO level 1, you have to use all caps for the file names.

:)Well lots of people use laptops with broken screens as headless
:)servers.

Yeah, they've got built-in UPSes.  If I had a good outside line, I'd be
using my sparcbook as my router, it has three ethernet ports (one built-in
and two pcmcia slots), built-in UPS, low power consumption (I live in
California), and takes up very little room.

  -- MW