Subject: Re: Can't boot any of my Macs
To: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/29/2001 11:58:02
At 5:41 PM -0400 7/27/01, Ken Wellsch wrote:

:)Oh yeah, that is right.  I just mounted it (or it mounted itself B^)
:)then I copied the "english" folder contents onto a formatted Mac floppy.
:)I booted using the Disk Tools floppy and played "swap the floppy" about
:)a zillion times to run the System Tools executable.
:)
:)I've forgotten - maybe I could have just copied the folder right to
:)the Disk Tools floppy... probably didn't think of that... D'oh!

Yes, you can delete the utilities they have on the disk since they only
pertain to fixing a MacOS system.

:)> If I "setenv boot-device fd", the disk spins and spits.
:)
:)I had to type "boot fd0" or I got a nasty fatal gripe from OF.

boot fd:0

:)I confused myself a couple times getting the error by typing "boot fd"
:)without the "number" part.  Maybe that is UMAX specific...

'fd' is the device alias, and ':0' tells Open Firmware to use the
"partition zero" bootloader.  AFAIK, only the Wallstreet PowerBook is
different (since the floppy can be put in more than one location).

:)> Basically, I can't boot anything but the MacOS fixit disk.  I can,
:)> however, boot that at will. :-)  I can't eject it or do anything with
:)> it, but I can boot from it.
:)
:)So I take it that "eject fd" doesn't work from the OF?

He's talking about once he boots into MacOS, how to eject and insert
another floppy.  Dave is a unix guru, but a Mac neophyte.

:)An entertaining example of this are DEC turbochannel cards.  I think
:)they arrived on the scene along with DEC/MIPS boxes.  So the PROM glue
:)on those cards is MIPS code.  Well, early Alphas also do TC cards.  I
:)understood there is some sort of MIPS emulator in the SRM to gronk them
:)and allow them to properly initialize.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Sounded
:interesting.

Yeah, and apparently atari's have i386 emulators to use i386 video cards.

:)Is this a PC monitor with a VGA to D15 converter dongle?  Or is it
:)a real Mac monitor?  A real Mac monitor is supposed to provide pin
:)settings that "tell" the Mac what resolution it can do.  While a less
:)than cheap VGA converter has some sort of switch(es) to select what
:)resolution you want to emulate I believe.

Unfortunately, Open Firmware ignores all that info.  Also, my guess is that
he only has one VSIMM, and his display is putting garbage where the second
VSIMM is supposed to be storing screen info.  AFAIR, his model requires two
or four VSIMMs, one doesn't work well.

GOod luck y'all.

  -- MW