Subject: Re: Keypress causing freeze on new powerbooks
To: None <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/29/2001 03:17:03
Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com> writes:

> I haven't had the panic related to this occur since using this version of
> akbd.c.  Unfortunately, there's the other problem of the brightness keys
> (F1 and F2) which reset the power manager (and thus shut off the machine).

Again, it's our fault. Commenting out the code in abtn_adbcomplete()
in abtn.c that calls pm_set_brightness() and pm_write_nvram() prevents
this problem. Since the keys don't actually affect the brightness on
my machine under NetBSD, I have to conclude that the one or both of
those functions isn't doing what we want, and eventually the PMU
misinterprets our command stream as something rather more drastic.

Easy workaround: take the "abtn* at adb?" line out of your kernel
configuration. If you have a machine where this is a problem, it's not
useful anyway.

        - Nathan