Subject: Re: pcmcia/cardbus support
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: David Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/27/2001 16:14:18
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:
>
> > At 12:00 PM -0400 7/26/01, Greg Kritsch wrote:
> >
> > Erm, OK.  I guess the kernel can't do that for me, since /dev isn't mounted
> > yet.
> >
> > I was thinking along the lines of:
> > com0 at [cardbus hardware info]
> > com0 attached to /dev/tty10
> > com1 at [usb hardware info]
> > com1 attached to /dev/ttyU01
>
> Because the names of the device nodes are the result of a policy decision
> made by the super user and which is denoted in /dev. i.e. device name
> generation is not the business of the kernel. :-)

I'm still doing the research, but the major/minor numbers of each of
devices would determine what it was called.

> > That'd make life a lot simpler.  Maybe as a compromise, a simple program
> > (called something like ttyinfo) which just spits out:
> > com0 is /dev/tty10
> > com1 is /dev/ttyU01
> > zstty0 is /dev/tty0
> > zstty1 is /dev/tty1
>
> Sounds fine.

I missed something important here.  Normally, you'd do this with
either hard links or duplicate allocations against the device numbers,
once you know what the numbers are going to be.

What I'd expect to see would be something like 'com0 is 30/10, com1
is 31/0' at which point you would establish the 'symbolic' name
from mknod.

Or are we working at a whole different level?

Dave