Subject: RE: pcmcia/cardbus support
To: Greg Kritsch <greg@evertz.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/26/2001 17:51:45
At 7:08 PM -0400 7/26/01, Greg Kritsch wrote:
>My attempts to execute simple "AT" commands result in utter silence from the
>modem.  I suppose that could be flow control lines, but somehow I doubt it.
>Of course, I'm blindly assuming the modem is "Hayes compatible".

I'll have to try it with my work G4 someday.

>I understand there is an interrupt latency issue which relates to ppp.
>People should not assume that this explains all network and serial port
>problems.  As I understand it, the problem is with soft interrupt delivery.
>This does not affect "normal" usage, it ONLY affects kernel implemented ppp.
>Has anyone tried running a userland ppp implementation?

Would that "solve" the problem?  Wouldn't you just see the same
thing, plus some additional delays?

In any case do you know if the problem is macppc-specific, or would
port-i386 see the same thing?  I have a modem on a 1.4.1 PC and am
seeing funny ping times.  Nothing for seconds and then a whole flood
of responses.  I suspect NetBSD because I get the same behavior with
several ISPs.  Will 1.5.1 make the problem go away?

Cross my heart, strike me dead, stick a lobster on my head.
John Crichton -- Farscape, 6/15/01