Subject: Re: 2 HD with a powermac 4400/160
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@asim.lip6.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/26/2001 21:09:30
On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 08:38:54AM -0700, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> :)> Another possibility would be to put an external SCSI drive for MacOS on the
> :)> mesh controller. Has anyone tried booting this system from a SCSI drive ?
> :)
> :)I tried booting NetBSD from a SCSI disk on mesh bus and it worked fine.
> :)(Mesh was very fragile so I had to adjust its terminators, though..)
>
> Lately (i.e. the last half year), I haven't had any MESH-based problems in
> my 7300.  1.5.1 is rock solid MESH-wise.
>
> Manuel, if you don't want to use a SCSI hard drive, you could always find
> some small disk and put your bootloader and kernel on there, then mount /
> from your slave IDE drive.  For example, a CD-R, a Zip disk, a floppy (tho
> you'd have to update the floppy from MacOS if you change kernels), or you
> could even netboot ofwboot.xcf and the kernel.

Well, there are several issues:
- my CD drive doesn't like CD-RW (and I want to do devel on this machine, so
  change kernel quite often)
- the floppy drive is dead
- the ethernet isn't supported by OFW (it's a epic100)
Maybe I can find a SCSI zip drive somewhere, though
But as you can see, my problem isn't that easy :)