Subject: Re: 2 HD with a powermac 4400/160
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/26/2001 08:38:54
At 12:13 AM +0900 7/27/01, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

:)What does the Openfirmware say with the command "dev /" and "ls" ?
:)If it does not show the slave drive, I guess it does not support it.
:)MacOS does (or did?) not support any slave devices on the IDE bus.

In the first generations of PowerMacs that had IDE busses, Apple didn't
intend to use the slave.  That's why they had two busses -- one for the
hard drive, and one for the cdrom.  Around the time of the Beige G3's
(ISTR), they changed their IDE chipset so that it could use slaves in
MacOS, and could boot from slaves.  I think there were a few IDE wrinkles
up to the time of the blue and white G3's

This all, of course, is based on sketchy memory, but early models
definitely did not support slaves in MacOS, or for booting.

:)> Another possibility would be to put an external SCSI drive for MacOS on the
:)> mesh controller. Has anyone tried booting this system from a SCSI drive ?
:)
:)I tried booting NetBSD from a SCSI disk on mesh bus and it worked fine.
:)(Mesh was very fragile so I had to adjust its terminators, though..)

Lately (i.e. the last half year), I haven't had any MESH-based problems in
my 7300.  1.5.1 is rock solid MESH-wise.

Manuel, if you don't want to use a SCSI hard drive, you could always find
some small disk and put your bootloader and kernel on there, then mount /
from your slave IDE drive.  For example, a CD-R, a Zip disk, a floppy (tho
you'd have to update the floppy from MacOS if you change kernels), or you
could even netboot ofwboot.xcf and the kernel.

Have fun,
  -- MW