Subject: 2 HD with a powermac 4400/160
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/26/2001 11:26:25
Hi,
I'm trying to install NetBSD on a powermac 4400/160 (OFW 2.0.2), but I'd like
to keep MacOS around. For this I added a second IDE disk.
Unfortunably in seems that OFW can't boot from a slave IDE disk.
using ata/ata-disk@0:0 boots the primary master.
ata/ata-disk@1:0 also boots the primary master.
ata/ata-disk@2:0 seems to boot from CD which is is secondary master.

Of course I could put the second IDE in place of the CD drive, but I'd
like to keep the CD drive around. If I place the CD drive as slave, I can't
boot from it (not even a macos CD) and it's not seen by MacOS.
Also note that my second IDE disk, as slave, isn't seen by the MacOS disk
tool.

Any idea of what else I could try ?
Another possibility would be to put an external SCSI drive for MacOS on the
mesh controller. Has anyone tried booting this system from a SCSI drive ?