Subject: Can't boot any of my Macs
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/25/2001 20:13:10
Hi,

I've been an i386 user for years.  I now have three Macs that I'd really like
to start using NetBSD on.

The problem is that they are completely naked machines.  No OS, nothing.

The first two are PowerPC 7600's (120 and 132, if it makes a difference).
The third one is a Powerbook 170.  I'll check with the other list on that
one.

How, without access to MacOS, can I bootstrap this system.  I've seen
references to suntar, etc.  The problem is that I can't get into OF without
some kind of bootstrap.

Every boot disk I've tried on both PPCs gets kicked out as soon as they are
accessed.  I've tried the boot.fs.  I've put the bootable CD into the CD ROM
drive.  I've downloaded a dozen *.bin files.

It's not like I'm new at this: I've been working with NetBSD since 0.8.

I've been through the MacPPC FAQ front to back.  I've been through 4 years
of news archives.  I've been at this since 6PM last night (it is now 8PM).
The only break I've taken is a few hours at work and 4 hours of sleep last
night.  I'm driving myself quietly MAD.....

Is there any hope that I can get this thing working?

Now, if someone has a clue about how to get started on my PowerPCs, or
(failing that) can help me get my Powerbook 170 going too, I'd appreciate
it.

Thanks for your time.

Dave Burgess