Subject: Re: Suggestions? Possible driver conflict.
To: Robert Schmid <robert_schmid@fourthgen.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/25/2001 15:34:27
On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Robert Schmid wrote:

> OK, what is the proper course of action in this situation?
>
> 1) mv ipconfig.de0 ipconfig.tlp0 ?
> 2) cp ipconfig.de0 ipconfig.tlp0 ?
> 3) remove tlp support in the kernel config and rebuild ?

4) Bug kernel programmers and make it so that the card isn't detected
twice.

One quick question, you only have one NIC card, right?

> Here is my dmesg under 1.5.1

Please supply the lines just before this. Specifically, there should be
one that looks like "tlp0 at pci0 dev XXX". I expect it will be dev 15.

> tlp0: interrupting at irq 25
> tlp0: Ethernet address 00:a0:40:60:15:6e
> tlp0: 10baseT, 10base2, 10base5
> de0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0
> de0: interrupting at irq 25
> de0: 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 2.1
> de0: address 00:a0:40:60:15:6e
> de0: enabling 10baseT port
> de0: enabling 10baseT port

Note that both tlp0 and de0 are using the same interrupt (25) and have the
same ethernet address - it looks like both drivers are trying to attach to
the same card.

The missing dmesg line, or the fact there's only one card with a 21041 on
it in the system will clinch it.

Take care,

Bill