Subject: Re: Off Topic Question - Warning (PowerMac 5200)
To: linc <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
From: John <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/23/2001 22:48:44
Hello,

> Hi guys and gals..  Sorry for the off topic post here but really you
> people are one of the few groups of people who's opinions are actually
> worth my time posting and reading..  That said.........

What's interesting about your off-topic post is that it was to the VAX
mailing list...

> A friend of mine works for a local school district who is getting rid of
> many Mac 5200'ds.  He would like to pile some on me but I am not sure what
> if anything I could actually do with these.  I have no prior mac
> experience, and as far as I can tell, they are not supported by NetBSD.
> As I am a Unix nut, Is there anything "unixy" that would run on these
> machines - is it worth it to grab a couple, few?  Does anyone in the PA
> area want any for anything?  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Some of the people in the port-macppc group are trying to get PowerPC 601s
and NuBus-based PowerPC machines working in the NetBSD world.

Until they do, the only Unixy thing you can install right now is MkLinux
(see MkLinux.org).

But since you are getting many, make sure you save at least one so you can
help test NetBSD code on it.

John Klos