Subject: Re: first naive question of the day
To: Michael A. Smith <msmith@code-fu.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/23/2001 15:10:08
At 10:54 AM +0100 7/23/01, Michael A. Smith wrote:

:)!!WARNING!! I haven't had a Mac since I got rid by my SE in 1995, so I'm a
:)little behind the times.

Welcome back to the fold!

:)I'm thinking about picking up a G4 Cube as a desktop machine. I've read
:)through the list archives and seen Andrew White's excellent step-by-step on
:)how to dual-boot a Cube. Very informative.

Actually, the INSTALL notes are more current than Andrew's step-by-step,
and provide a much simpler install technique.  They are, however, more
cumbersome since they cover all supported models, not just Open Firmware 3
systems.  There's a section describing what porions of the INSTALL notes
are necessary to read.

:)My question is a bit simpler: What about if I don't want to dual-boot at
:)all. I'm not at all interested in MacOS and want a dedicated NetBSD Cube.
:)Does this make my installation harder or easier?

Not really, unless you netboot.  Cubes (and all Open Firmware 3 systems)
require an XCOFF or ELF bootloader located on an HFS or HFS+ partition, and
partitioning using a MacOS tool.

Good luck,
  -- MW