Subject: networking and installation
From: None <josh@ssimr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/23/2001 12:05:58
I am going through my installation process. I was able to get my
Farallon EtherTX-10/100 PCI Plus card to run at 100baseT rather than
10 by simply issuing the following command:

ifconfig de0 media 100baseTX

I was messing with a lot of ifconfig and route commands manually
because for reasons still mysterious to me, the new installation
failed to find the default route and gateway. Isn't there an
autoconfig script someplace that I can run after the installation. For
that matter isn't there a way to pull down all the packages I would
have had installed by chosing everyting in an ftp based installation.

I am a little curious about my NIC. I have a local network run with
one of the new Etherfast Cable/DSL routers that has an 8-port switch
incorporated. Since, if I can ever get Gnome or something better than
twm, to run as Xserver software on MacOS X, network speed will mean
greatly improved performance, I want full duplex 100baseT
operation. The two other 100baseT devices light all three lights when
they are connected. The NIC in the PowerMac 6500/300 is only lighting
two. I tried using 100baseTX-FDX as the media type but it didn't
change anything. I suspect there is a way to change the flags that I
coulnd't decipher from the man pages for ifconfig.

# ifconfig de0
de0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:00:c5:53:3b:dd
        media: Ethernet 100baseTX full-duplex
        status: active
        inet6 fe80::200:c5ff:fe53:3bdd%de0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

Anyone know what the option I want is?

Also, while I appreciate that inet6 will be in common use someday, I
have absolutely no use for it at the moment in my set up. Is there a
way to drop it out of my system? It makes the routing tables and the
output from many networking commands very long and difficult to read.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@ssimr.com