Subject: Re: Bootstrapping without MacOS
To: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/22/2001 21:03:03
At 10:12 PM -0400 7/21/01, Ken Wellsch wrote:

:)It is pretty darn reasonable to assume your average NetBSD/macppc newbie
:)is experienced with MacOS and runs it, so the Sys Disk tutorial is just
:)excellent the way it is!  I doubt anyone wants dd'able copies...

You'd be surprised.  You're certainly not the only macppc'er who didn't
have MacOS to start with.

:)Well, from the user angle, I do prefer to boot NetBSD on my i386 boxes
:without
:)needing Windows, and on my sparc boxes without SunOS, and on my alphas
:without
:)using Tru64, and on my Dec/mips boxes without Ultrix, and on my VAXen without
:)say 4.3BSD and ... you get the picture.
:)
:)Apologies that running "raw" makes life more difficult for the hardworking
:)NetBSD maintainer/developers.

Sometimes I feel that it only makes life hard for the documenters and
users, but makes it easy for the developers (they take the Open Firmware
device tree and keep using some devices and replace others with native
drivers).

:)As luck would have it, that was no problem at all.  I followed the
:)exceptionally well done NetBSD docs on NetBSD/macppc installation, the FAQ
:)etc. and was able to set the few things needed.

Thanks for the kind words!

:)Now I will mention one of my experiences that I'm not sure I noticed were
:)answered in recent mailing list traffic.  The mc0 enet driver really does
:)give sysinst heart-burn.

Would you mind filing a PR on this to make sure it doesn't fall through the
cracks?

  -- MW