Subject: comments on 1.5.1 install docs
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/22/2001 17:31:14
Howdy,

I finally got to the detailed review of the install docs, and now that I
have gone over it with more care, I find that some of the things
that I found to be confusing or in error were mostly my brain damage.

I have some trouble pinpointing where in the doc I'm describing, but I will
try by giving headers and search strings:

1. I was confused in the section about "available boot media" and
"Description of Bootable Media".  I missed the distinction between
those partitions/types that can load OFWBOOT and those that can be
used to load a kernel.  For instance, on each section in "available
boot media" it says "MS-DOS filesystem (not supported by NetBSD).
HUH?  Now I understand.  This means you can't boot a kernel, but you
can load OFWBOOT.  Right?

2. Under "description of bootable media" it mentions that the OF 2.4
floppy driver is broken.  My experience is that with a MS-DOS filesystem
on the floppy I *can* load OFWBOOT.  I have yet to boot a kernel,
though.

3. Under "Description of bootable media" under ISO9660 CD-ROM and
Hybrid HFS/ISO 9660 CD-ROM it lists OF 2.4.  I no longer have doc
comments, although I still can't get my OF 2.4 machine to boot.
I'll comment again once I have a setup that _works_.
The bits that have been added since the last draft are an improvement,
I think.

4. "partitioning your drive"  New Section. Cool.

5. Next section "Creating the Bootable media".  Under OF 2.4 it says
"Boot off a floppy (may not be supported under OF 2.4)"
Huh?  Is it support or not?  Again, it says earlier that the Floppy
is busted.  It mentions the floppy and OF 2.4 for about three para-
graphs later too.  Need to be consistent.

I have not gotten thru the rest.

Good work on these docs!

-dgl-