Subject: Re: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/21/2001 18:35:49
On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:

> At 6:36 AM -0300 7/21/01, caportel wrote:
>
> :)You're right, it was the Startup Disk's  nvramrc patches for Mac OS X. When
> :)you switch to Mac OS 9.x, the nvramrc remains. It was a very strange
> :)behavior indeed for this OF.
>
> That is documented in the INSTALL notes.  It looks like I never put that
> into the FAQ.  Perhaps it needs to be clearer.  Basically, OF 1.0.5 clears
> all settings when you boot into MacOS < X.  OF 2.0.x and 2.4 clear only
> real-base when you boot into MacOS < X.  Booting OF 3 into MacOS does not
> modify any of the OF settings.
<snip>
> :)>> setenv boot-device ide1/disk@0:0,ofwboot.xcf
> :)>> setenv boot-file netbsd.macppc
> :)>> reset-all
> :)>
> :)> Is the boot-file environment needed? I never needed it for
> :)> anything.
> :)
> :)In this case with the patches, yes.
>
> So, if I understand y'all right, if you have applied the System Disk
> patches, you *always* must enter a boot-file.  Under what conditions is
> this necessary?  That is, which of the following:  booting from a floppy,
> booting from an ISO CD, booting from a file on an HFS partition, booting
> from 'partition zero', booting from the network.

	No, from my tangle with OFW last night: If you wish to boot/boot a
kernel from IDE/SCSI (and possibly Enet), you must have boot-device set to
ide1/@X or scsi/@X as well as having load-base something other than the
ballpark of 600000 (6c0000 and 4000 worked for me with OFWBOOT). Then
after you reset-all, I could load OFWBOOT from an ISO9660 CD. I tried many
different partition numbers and it didn't seem to make any difference with
an MSDOS floppy and the ISO9660 CD.

> Can you still boot from the command line, such as:
> boot ide1/disk@0:0,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc

	Depends, is it bootx or ofwboot.xcf on an HFS filesystem you're
referring too?

	From trying to boot from an MS-DOS floppy:

	boot fd:,OFWBOOT.XCF -a and boot fd:0,OFWBOOT.XCF -a both get me
the OFWBOOT prompt, but could not subsequently find the kernel on the
floppy or reports that it doesn't understand the file type. (From 1.5.1
OFWBOOT and NetBSD.RAM) Is there a file type check, maybe I need to axe
the resource fork?

	Then I tried booting the same two files on an ISO9660 CD, this
time OFWBOOT loaded, found the kernel and spewed this:

3691688+153076] = 0x3aad3c
	start=0x800000
_

unrecognized client formatstate not valid

(hard freeze)

	If I get more time to mess with this I will, but this is some
weird stuff. The patches are from StartupDisk 9.2.1 and this is B ROM Rev
1 machine.

	Chris