Subject: Re: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: caportel <caportel@terra.com.br>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/21/2001 09:29:51
At 6:36 AM -0300 7/21/01, caportel wrote:

:)You're right, it was the Startup Disk's  nvramrc patches for Mac OS X. When
:)you switch to Mac OS 9.x, the nvramrc remains. It was a very strange
:)behavior indeed for this OF.

That is documented in the INSTALL notes.  It looks like I never put that
into the FAQ.  Perhaps it needs to be clearer.  Basically, OF 1.0.5 clears
all settings when you boot into MacOS < X.  OF 2.0.x and 2.4 clear only
real-base when you boot into MacOS < X.  Booting OF 3 into MacOS does not
modify any of the OF settings.

In any case, the FAQ needs rework now that I've got the INSTALL notes in
much better shape.  Enough of the FAQ is out of date, conflicting, and (in
some cases) just plain wrong, that I'm considering chopping most of the
booting info and referring users to the INSTALL notes.

English is my first language, and sometimes I document things that aren't
clear to people who do not understand English very well.  If you happen to
find things like this, let me know, and we can work out something that is
worded better.

:)>> setenv boot-device ide1/disk@0:0,ofwboot.xcf
:)>> setenv boot-file netbsd.macppc
:)>> reset-all
:)>
:)> Is the boot-file environment needed? I never needed it for
:)> anything.
:)
:)In this case with the patches, yes.

So, if I understand y'all right, if you have applied the System Disk
patches, you *always* must enter a boot-file.  Under what conditions is
this necessary?  That is, which of the following:  booting from a floppy,
booting from an ISO CD, booting from a file on an HFS partition, booting
from 'partition zero', booting from the network.

Can you still boot from the command line, such as:
boot ide1/disk@0:0,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc

Thanks,
  -- MW