Subject: Re: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: caportel <caportel@terra.com.br>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2001 15:44:45
On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, caportel wrote:

> on 7/20/01 1:53 AM, Donald Lee at donlee_ppc@icompute.com wrote:
>
> > The best I can do is a complete load from ofwboot.xcf (load of
> > text, data, bss - clearing text, data, bss, and then CLAIM FAILED)
> > All three boot methods do this.  They get most of the way through

	Sounds like OFWBOOT doesn't understand the file system that the
kernel is on, or the kernel name it's trying to boot doesn't exist. Try
slapping -a onto your boot command line after OFWBOOT.XCF or ofwboot.xcf

> > CD, floppy, and netboot all behave about the same, except that the CD
> > seems to require part 2, and UPPER CASE:
> >
> > boot ide1/disk:2,\OFWBOOT.XCF

	On my 2.0f1 macine it would be boot ide1/disk@0:2,OFWBOOT.XCF or
just ide1/@0:2,OFWBOOT.XCF if that makes any difference. I don't think the
\ is needed, but I don't have the CD to try it with.

> > BTW - I like the DOS floppy setup.  That was really easy to set up.
> > Too bad it does not work.  Note: the floppy driver DOES appear to
> > load the software from the floppy.

	Can you boot Boot.fs from the OFW 2.0f1 ROM (Rev A ROM) and not
the 2.4 ROM (Rev D ROM)? Or can you not boot either way. If you can't boot
either way than that pretty much proves that OpenFirmware is not on the
ROM DIMM, which is something I'm beginning to suspect. Does it report OFW
2.0f1 when you use the old ROM DIMM?

> I don't know if this could work on your machine, but yesterday I was playing
> around with my Beige G3's OF - 2.0f1 - and discovered it can boot from the
> NetBSD CD not directly on OF (that's what I always tried), but on the
> environment this way:

	This is a bug/design failure of the ROM and/or the SystemDisk
patches. You *must* have the boot-device pointing to the device and
partition you are booting from AND reset-all AND then either "boot" or
type boot and the same path as is in the boot-device variable. You seem to
have to reboot even when changing partition numbers in boot-device in
order for you to be able to boot from it in OFW. (from trying to boot the
MacOS X CD)

> setenv boot-device ide1/disk@0:0,ofwboot.xcf
> setenv boot-file netbsd.macppc
> reset-all

	Is the boot-file environment needed? I never needed it for
anything.

> About floppies, the boot.fs image works fine for me with:
>
> boot fd:0

	If all else fails, you could try removing the patches, there's a
chance that they actually cause problems with your machine.

	Chris