Subject: Re: Open Firmware and boot syntax
To: Marc Baudoin <babafou@babafou.eu.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2001 10:07:08
At 6:50 PM +0200 7/20/01, Marc Baudoin wrote:
>Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> =E9crit :
> > At 10:26 PM +0200 7/17/01, Marc Baudoin wrote:
> > >
> > >boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf hd:1,/netbsd
> >                           ^
> > This number is >=3D 9 I'll bet you.
>
>You're right, it's 10.
>
> > >boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf hd:,/netbsd
> > >
> > >So, what is the correct syntax?
> >
> > "boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd" will get you the kernel from the same
> > partition as ofwboot.
>
>Sure but that's not what I want.
>
> > Isn't this covered in the installation instructions?  I know they are
> > long and consequently confusing, but I thought MW had tried to cover
> > everything anyone might need.  Don't have them in front of me now.
>
>The problem is: how can you determine the right "partition"
>number?

Actually I didn't answer your question because I'm not sure of the=20
current state of alternate partition support inside ofwboot.  It used=20
to be a catch 22 where you could only access the same partition as=20
ofwboot if you were accessing the same device.  (I *think* that's an=20
OF limitation on some versions of OF that got "canned" into a syntax=20
check in the ofwboot code.)  The situation was even muddier if you=20
were specifying a different device.

What I *can* tell you is that ofwboot intends (but didn't succeed) in=20
implementing the same device syntax as OF itself.  You need a : or a=20
, in order for it to know that you are giving a device path in=20
addition to the file path is one peculiarity.

As for which partition:  If you know which partition is number 10=20
then you can use any number of tools to find offsets.  All the=20
"ordinary" user partitions are in order after the driver partitions=20
that use up the first 8 or so.  In Drive Setup for example you can=20
use tab and shift-tab to walk through the list.  Under MacOS X you=20
can use pdisk to list them.  There is also a version of pdisk at=20
murphy.dyndns.org (or .com?) that you can get if you don't have MacOS=20
X.

Good luck.

Cross my heart, strike me dead, stick a lobster on my head.
John Crichton -- Farscape, 6/15/01