Subject: Re: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/19/2001 23:53:29
This is all about my Beige OF 2.4 machine.  One of the very late model
G3 beige machines.  I've run NetBSD on it, but only by swapping out the ROM
stick.  I want to boot without that drastic measure.

I've been struggling with this lately.

I have a hybrid CD, a floppy, and a tftp server.  I have tried the various
suggestions kindly fwd'd on the list.

The best I can do is a complete load from ofwboot.xcf (load of
text, data, bss - clearing text, data, bss, and then CLAIM FAILED)
All three boot methods do this.  They get most of the way through

CD, floppy, and netboot all behave about the same, except that the CD
seems to require part 2, and UPPER CASE:

	boot ide1/disk:2,\OFWBOOT.XCF

but it does the CLAIM FAILED too.

BTW - I like the DOS floppy setup.  That was really easy to set up.
Too bad it does not work.  Note: the floppy driver DOES appear to
load the software from the floppy.

I've tried it with both system disk 2.3.1 and 2.6.2.

I've not tried pulling the graphics card, nor have I gone back to the
serial console for this machine (although I tried this earlier, and it
seemed to behave no differently)

My B&W seems to boot pretty easily with the same CD.

Can this be done?

-dgl-