Subject: Re: Some more on MacOS X Filesystem Interoperability
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/19/2001 23:29:56
On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 12:09:57PM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> Someone else (was it here or on darwin-development?) said that OSX
> uses the NextStep flavor of FFS, which is different in only a couple
> of size parameters, but *is* different.

Yeah, I wrote code to adapt the 4.4 dump/restore to that filesystem
once.  The changes struck me as gratuitous and stupid.  That Apple
stuck with them seems to me to be...well, stupider still.

I don't think Apple picked up any of the 4.4 FFS changes, nor the fixes
to default geometry parameters to correspond with modern disks, etc --
then they decided based on some fairly elementary testing that HFS+ is
"faster".  Hopefully at some point they will have the engineering sense
to revisit that series of decisions.

Thor