Subject: Re: "de" versus "tlp" for DEC TULIP Ethernet
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/19/2001 14:09:01
At 01:45 PM 7/19/01 -0700, Erik E. Fair wrote:
>Are there still things that the "de" driver does for the honest to god DEC
>TULIP chips that the "tlp" driver doesn't? If not, isn't it time to
>deprecate the "de" driver, and make the TULIP matching #ifdefs in "tlp"
>default on?
>
>         thinking out loud,
>
>         Erik <fair@clock.org>

The 'tlp' driver doesn't support all boards that the 'de' driver does.  One
example
is my Cogent with a "broken microwire SROM interface" or something like that.

The bad thing is that 'tlp' claims the card (so 'de' loses the match), but
then decides
it can't support it during the attach.

I don't know if there are any other cards out there with similar problems,
but if you
delete the 'de' driver I am hosed. :(

-Andrew